Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Quick Bio - Creative Writing 101 - Winter 2013


My name is Jodi, and I'm a book-a-holic.  I've read four books in the last two-and-a-half days!  Probably a contributing factor to writing my bio at the eleventh hour.  I’ve been feeding this voracious hunger since second grade, when I first read “Black Beauty” and truly fell in love with books.  To this day,  there's little I like better than endless steaming mugs of coffee, a fleecy blanket, and a loaded Kindle in a quiet house.  

In part because I have a 13-year-old daughter who’s a bookworm, but also because part of me is a perpetual adolescent, I've read scads of young adult novels/series in the last couple of years.  Basically, though, I'll read anything.  Did you know there are actually directions on a tube of toothpaste?!  "For best results, squeeze from bottom."  

I have what Buddhists call "monkey brain.”  My mind is a whirling, brightly colored maelstrom of fun, imaginative things, deep thoughts, big ideas, and plans for the next great thing.  I'm interested in virtually everything, I love to learn, and I'm a fount of random, mostly useless knowledge.  Unfortunately, while my well of inspiration never runs dry, I often lack true ambition and follow-through.  
 
I’ve wanted to write for as long as I can remember, but thus far some form of passivity has left that dream shelved and unrealized, a dusty someday.  As this is my first class of any kind in more than ten years, I'm a little scared and a lot excited…or maybe it’s the other way around.  In any case, taking the first step toward a long-held dream feels great, and I'm looking forward to stretching my wings and seeing where they take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment